Legal & Other
Odyssey: Terms & Conditions
- Odyssey Magazine will post your issues with the intention of them arriving, at the address you provided, in the first 14 days of the respective quarterly magazine print.
- We accept no responsibility for delays in delivery due to slow services provided by the South African Postal Service.
- The onus is upon the subscriber to ensure that their delivery information is updated and correct at all times.
- 21 days written notice is required for cancellation of subscription, due to non-delivery, and the number of editions outstanding at the end of the 21 day period will be refunded on a pro-rata basis.
- Premium (print) subscriptions are only available within borders of South Africa
Competitions & Giveaways
- Prizes will be awarded to first correct entry drawn after the closing date by Odyssey Magazine.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries should include the answer to the question, your name and email address. By entering, participants allow Odyssey Magazine and prize sponsors permission to contact them for marketing purposes. Should entrants wish to opt out, such a link will be available on all promotional material and they can opt out at any time.
Entries are made by sending an email to the published email address.
- No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
- Prizes will be issued only after the close of the competition. Please allow for a two-week delivery period.
- Odyssey Magazine will notify the selected winner by email on the day after the closing date of the competition. Failure to respond to the notification email and accept the prize within 14 days of being contacted will result in forfeiture of the prize.
- Odyssey Magazine or prize sponsors are not responsible for false or incorrectly entered contact information.
- The prizes are not transferable, nor can they be converted into cash.
The competition is open to all readers of Odyssey Magazine, unless specified. Prizes will be delivered only within South Africa.
- Only persons who are at least 18 years of age can enter competitions.
- Winners are not eligible for another prize for six months after the closing date of the competition they have won.
- Odyssey Magazine and / or the prize sponsor has the right to publicise the winners’ names on Facebook or website for promotional purposes.
- Odyssey Magazine and its associate sponsors reserve the right to cancel the competition without notice at any time, if deemed necessary in their opinion, or if circumstances arise outside their control. In the event of such cancellation, all participants agree to waive any rights that they may have in terms of this competition and acknowledge that they have no recourse against Odyssey Magazine and the sponsors.
- BY ENTERING, ALL PARTICIPANTS AND/OR ENTRANTS RELEASE ODYSSEY MAGAZINE AND THE SPONSORS FROM AND AGAINST ALL CLAIMS AND DAMAGES ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH EACH ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION AND/OR ENTRY IN THE COMPETITION/GIVEAWAY AND/OR HIS/HER RECEIPT OR USE OF THE PRIZES AWARDED IN THIS CONTEST.
Advertisements are only accepted for publication in Odyssey Magazine, or any other publication(s) or commercial communication(s) owned or published by Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD, subject to the following conditions:
Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD reserves the right to withhold any advertisement from publication and to cancel any advertisement order that has been accepted.
Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD will not be liable to the advertiser or to any other person for any loss or damages of any nature whatsoever, including indirect or consequential damages or any loss of profit or special damages of any nature whatsoever, and whether in the contemplation of the parties or not, which the advertiser or any other person may suffer as a result of Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD.’s failure to publish, or publication on dates other than those specified by the advertiser, or any other errors of any kind.
Telephonic instructions/confirmations of any kind must in all cases be confirmed in writing by the advertiser.
Every precaution is taken to ensure the correct printing and insertion of all advertisements, but Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD will not be held liable for any inaccuracies or omissions or for any consequence arising there from.
Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD reserves the right to edit or revise, or to reject, even after acceptance for publication, any advertisement deemed to be untruthful or objectionable in subject matter or wording, or unsuitable for any other reason, whether space for the advertisement has been booked in advance under order or not.
Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD reserves the right to suspend an issue on any day and increase or decrease the usual number of editions without notice.
Space is sold to advertisers for the purpose of making announcements concerning their own business and may not be used for attacking or making invidious comparisons with other advertisers, firms, institutions or persons.
Advertisement orders are not accepted subject to write-up space or editorial coverage being given.
All cancellations by the customer must be in writing.
Cancellation of advertisements will not be accepted if not given in writing before material deadline for any particular edition. If the advertiser/client withdraws the advertisement and/or declines to have such a booked advertisement/s appear in the issue in question, they may replace it with another advertisement of the same size within 48 hours of the material deadline.
In the case of a late cancellation, as detailed in point 1 above, or a failure to properly notify Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD in writing about such a cancellation, the advertiser/ client is responsible for the payment of the full amount as detailed in the booking form or invoice for that advertisement.
If material is received too late for publication, the space reserved will be charged for and the publisher may replace the material with any other material deemed suitable by the publisher.
Copy/advertisements must conform to all requirements, for the acceptance of advertisements, as laid out in the Odyssey Magazine Media Pack.
Advertisement orders are not accepted for periods longer than 12 months, unless by special arrangement with the publisher.
A 50% cancellation fee will be incurred for any special positions bookings cancelled within 30 days of the date of publication
All orders are subject to space being available
Should the advertiser have enjoyed a multiple advertisement insertion discount, the failure to provide said material will also render any discount null and void and the full listed price shall pertain to the cost of the advertisement, should the advertiser not have cancelled the advertisement in question within the parameters set out in Clause 7 above.
When new rates are announced, contract advertisers will be protected at their contract rates for the duration of the contract. The balance of the order will not be subject to the new rates.
Bookings are payable within 7 days from date of invoice to secure the booking.
Final material deadline published on both the Odyssey Magazine rate card media pack, and on the invoice. Failure to produce material by final deadline for such material will constitute a material breach by the advertiser and will render the advertiser liable for the full amount for the advert in question and for the remainder of the contract value, whether or not the advertiser places subsequent adverts. Clause 7.3 will pertain if relevant.
Any advertising order shall be subject to the conditions stated herein unless specifically varied by Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD in writing and these conditions shall at all times take precedence over any terms, conditions or stipulations contained in any of the advertiser’s documentation as may be in conflict herewith.
Should the advertiser in any way purport to attach any conditions which vary, amend or are in conflict with the conditions set forth herein then, notwithstanding anything to the contrary stipulated by the advertiser, the conditions set forth herein shall prevail and be of full force and effect unless specifically varied by Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD in writing with specific reference to the advertiser’s contrary documentation.
Space orders for advertisements appearing in Odyssey Magazine or any associated publication produced by Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD are accepted subject to all the additional conditions shown on the applicable media pack.
No changes to advertisements appearing in Odyssey Magazine or any associated publications of Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD will be accepted once production of the publication has commenced. The exact timing of publication will be determined at the sole discretion of the publisher and advertisers shall accept the publisher’s determination of when the publication process has begun.
If any amount due and payable by the advertiser is not paid within the agreed term, the advertiser shall be liable for interest at the maximum rate permitted by law from time to time, including, without limiting the generality thereof, The Usury Act No. 73 of 1968, and the Credit Agreement Act No. 75 of 1980 as amended and the National Credit Act. Such interest shall be calculated and paid monthly in advance, provided that if the interest is not paid as aforesaid, the interest shall be added to the principal sum and the whole amount shall form the principal debt which shall bear interest as aforesaid.
In the event of Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD instructing attorneys to collect from the advertiser an amount owing to Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD, the advertiser agrees to pay all costs on the scale as between attorney and own client, including collection charges.
No relaxation or indulgence granted to the advertiser by Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD, at any time, shall be deemed to be a waiver of any of Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD.’s rights in terms hereof and such relaxation or indulgence shall not be deemed a novation of any of the terms and conditions set out herein, or create any estoppel against Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD.
Any agreement purporting to vary the terms of these conditions or any consensual cancellation shall not be valid unless reduced to writing and signed by both the advertiser and Mindful Media Publications (PTY) LTD.
These Terms & Conditions will be deemed to have been read and accepted on signature by the authorised person, acting for and on behalf of the advertiser or the advertiser his/herself, of the Odyssey Magazine Advertising Booking Form.
We believe that great content is the result of collaboration, one of our core values, and we do value your submission. Our editors will review your article shortly and give it due consideration; however, please understand that not every article submitted can be published as there are many unique considerations for each magazine edition.
Please be aware all articles submitted are done so without any financial consideration now or at any time in the future. Submissions may be rejected by our editors for any of the following reasons but are not limited to those listed bellow:
- Article comes across as spam or an advertorial
- Article is a repeat of an article we’ve previously published
- Article is too short or too long
- Article is not within our specific topic ranges or themes
- Subject matter or format is not relevant, or inappropriate
- Excessive grammatical and/or spelling errors
By submitting your article you agree to our Term and Conditions below:
- You declare that you are the sole owner and author of the article and own 100% of all copyrights pertaining to the article or have permission from the owner or author to submit the article to Odyssey Magazine or its assignees.
- You retain all rights and copyrights to your article.
- You may submit (your own) articles that have been published elsewhere.
- You agree that Odyssey Magazine or its assignees are not liable for any potential legal action that could arise from the article(s) submitted.
- You agree that all articles submitted are submitted without any financial consideration now or in the future.
- You are giving permission to Odyssey Magazine or its assignees to publish, distribute or use in any way we deem appropriate the article submitted. This includes, but is not limited to: posting to any of our websites / print publications, social media pages, e-mail newsletters etc.
- These permissions are provided to Odyssey Magazine or its assignees and to any successor or future owner of its assets.
- No other use is implied or granted.
Who we are
Our website address is: https://odysseymagazine.co.za.
What personal data we collect & why we collect it
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Odyssey: Copyrights & Disclaimer
Odyssey Magazine ISSN 0256-0356 (odysseymagazine.co.za) is owned and published by Mindful Media Publishing (Pty) Ltd.
No person, organisation or party can copy or re-produce the content on this site and/or magazine or any part of this publication without a written consent from the editors’ panel and the author of the content, as applicable. The publisher, editor, authors and contributors reserve their rights with regards to copyright of their work.
The copyright includes (and is not limited to)
The content and/or images used in any of the articles of this publication. The Odyssey Magazine logo and any of its derivatives.
The content in Odyssey Magazine and its website and digital platforms are made available on the terms and condition that the publisher, editors, contributors and related parties:
Shall have no responsibility for any action or omission by any other contributor, consultant, editor or related party.
Disclaim any and all liability and responsibility to any person or party, be they a purchaser, reader, advertiser or consumer of this publication or not in regards to the consequences and outcomes of anything done or omitted being in reliance whether partly or solely on the contents of this publication.
Are not responsible in any way for the actions or results taken any person, organisation or any party on basis of reading information, or contributions in this publication, website or any related platform.